DCMA CERTIFICATE 2
The major aim of the one-year “DCMA Certificate 2” is to nurture students to become well educated musician-performers having an understanding of the place of music that has been influenced by the traditions of the ‘dhow countries’ (Oriental-Arabic) and other music cultures from around the world.
“DCMA Certificate 2” offers opportunities for students to learn to effectively express themselves through the use of their musical voices and music instruments and make available opportunities for learning and sharing knowledge in music heritages of Zanzibar and other parts of Africa and the world. “DCMA Certificate 2” is a guided exploration of music concepts and skills brought together to discover many possible ways of using sounds to make music. The Programme provides an articulate and broad approach to enable students to learn information and knowledge of all kinds including concepts of music theory (effective, culturally approved ways of putting sounds together to produce “music”), concepts related to the business-side of music, skills of performing music, and other skills that associate with technical aspects of music-studio equipment, instrument building and instrument maintenance. Upon finishing the Programme students will be able to:
- perform, on music instruments and/or vocally, the music traditions of especially Zanzibar, other areas of Africa and other areas of the ‘dhow countries’;
- analyze music works, especially the works of Zanzibar, other areas of Tanzania, other areas of Africa and other areas of the ‘dhow countries’ region;
- communicate music ideas well with other people;
- fill the significant gaps in the job market that require well-qualified musicians, e.g., communicators in the areas of music performance, Music Theory (music composition), and Music Education (especially in teaching Music and in working with music in community-development endeavors).
Admission RequirementsAdmission Requirements
- Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (C.S.E.E.) or equivalent, with passes in FOUR approved subjects,
- DCMA Certificate 1
The Academic Year
There will be two semesters in each of the academic years of the “DCMA Certificate 2”. In general, each year will follow the approximate calendar shown below:
Semester I: End of September to middle of January
Semester II: Middle of February to beginning of June (18 weeks)
Review and Evaluation: End of July to middle of August. (4 weeks)
The total length of each year of the Course of Study is 40 weeks.