External: Building a society that values traditional and contemporary music as a
catalyst for development.
Internal: The Dhow Countries Music Academy Zanzibar (DCMA) will become the leading
internationally accredited center for traditional music education in East and Central Africa.
To play a key role in strengthening the music industry of Zanzibar, by researching, training, promoting, preserving and developing the musical heritage of Zanzibar and the Dhow Countries locally, regionally and internationally.
The main aims of the organization are:
To provide an opportunity for the inhabitants of Zanzibar and the
Dhow Region to study music related to their cultural background,
with a special emphasis on broadening the educational opportunities for
young people, women and children and to thus preserve the rich
musical heritage of Zanzibar.
• To promote professional excellence among musicians through training, seminars, workshops, debates etc.
• To give skills and resources to a group of talented young people so that they can make a living from music.
• To increase the number of jobs already available by marketing and promoting musicians to local venues, regional promoters, international festivals, etc.
• To foster communication, networking and peaceful relationships on an international basis with emphasis on the Dhow Countries region (Africa, India, Iran, Pakistan, Indonesia Islands of the Indian Ocean and the Arabic States).
• To establish a music library service that will provide all necessary means for students pursuing their musical careers.